Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blood Orange Chocolate Chunk Muffins


In this month's Sunset magazine I read about a couple that bought a house somewhere in So. Cal a few years ago and immediately planted acres and acres of citrus trees of several varieties. Their blog was also featured in the magazine pointing to the recipes they make with their seasonal citrus and other fresh from the farm ingredients (not necessarily their farm). I checked out the blog and loved the pictures, the recipes--this is something I will continue to follow!

After reading through pretty much ever page of the blog (so I had a little free time, sue me), I came across this recipe for Blood Orange Chocolate Chunk Muffins. I love the combination of orange and chocolate and I figured blood orange and chocolate would be just as delicious. I knew that blood oranges are currently in season in CA, so I whisked myself over to the farmer's market and got some specifically for these muffins. I bought 6 oranges and they were relatively small, I needed 5 to make this recipe.


These muffins were delicious. It took a little bit of time to make it all because you have to zest and squeeze the oranges, but it is worth it! If you notice in their pictures the muffins look totally normal...however my muffins are blue. Any thoughts about why?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Did you mistakenly put in blueberries?

Emily said...

I made a lemon garlic chicken, but let the lemon and garlic soak together longer than I meant (I forgot an ingredient, had to run out for it), and after we cooked it, the garlic had turned a greenish blue! Must be something about the acid?