One of my vegetarian friends had a new baby and I wanted to make a meal for her family to share. I decided on red lentil tacos. Red lentils, who knew? I loved these lentils and struggled to actually give them away (although not a hit with the family). Lentils are high in protein AND filling. And the best part? This is quick to make!
This recipe is only a base for the versatility of red lentils. Change up the spices and make it your own! In the original recipe, I read that red lentils cook quickly because they are already split while other lentils take a long time.
Red Lentil & Roasted Cauliflower with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
Creamy Chipotle Sauce:
1/3 C mayonaise
2-3 Chipotle's plus sauce from the can
juice of 3 limes
cauliflower, broken into medium florets
Favorite Taco Toppings
Preheat the oven to 400
1a. Toss cauliflower (any color!) with olive oil until just coated and toss with salt in a rimmed baking pan. Roast 25-35 minutes until tender and browning.
1. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook ~5 minutes until starting to get soft
2. Add garlic and cook one minute more
3. Add all the spices and cook 30 seconds until fragrant
4. Add lentils and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes until lentils are tender. Adjust salt to taste
5. Meanwhile, in a mini blender combine all ingredients for the chipotle sauce
6. Serve lentils warm with cauliflower and desired toppings. Add Chipotle Sauce on top.