Sunday, March 28, 2010

Homemade Citrus Jello Bricks

Sometime around 11pm I decided to make Jello with fresh squeezed orange juice. I happened to have a lot of oranges of varying kinds in the refrigerator: Cara Cara (those are the pink ones), navel, marmalade (the ones that look like lemons). I even threw in a couple of Oroblanco grapefruits.

Making your own Jello is simpler than you think. You need 4 cups of 100% juice and you don't even have to juice it yourself.

Honestly this isn't the best Jello I've ever had--it is a little bitter probably because I only added half the sugar it called for assuming my juice would be sweet enough. Bad assumption. However, I would definitely make this recipe again because it is worth it for the pictures alone--and I think it could be delicious. Besides, I had to use that LEGO mold for something!

Homemade Jello Bricks
1 cup cold juice (I used orange-grapefruit)
2 T sugar or honey (I used one and should've used more)
3 cups juice, heated to boiling
4 packets unflavored gelatin

a. Sprinkle gelatin over the 1 cup cold juice and let sit one minute
b. Meanwhile, heat additional 3 cups until boiling
c. Add boiling juice to gelled juice stir until dissolved. Add sugar and stir.
d. Pour into either a 9x13 pan or half-fill LEGO molds
e. Refrigerate overnight or for several hours until set. If you used a 9x13 pan try cutting out shapes with cookie cutters or just cut into cubes and serve.

No comments: