Wednesday, March 10, 2010

20 Minute Fajitas with Oven Nachos

On my way home tonight I couldn't think of what to have for dinner until it dawned on me, fajitas! As I said, I'm really rocking the new grill and try to use it as much as possible. So I stopped by the store and picked up some "beef for marinating," 2 limes and some cilantro.

When I got home, I whipped up a quick marinade in the mini-chopper, threw it in the refrigerator in a zip-top bag and marinated for 10 minutes. During that time I made some nachos in the oven as an appetizer and heated the grill.

10 minutes were up and the grill was set. I threw it on for about 8 minutes along with a few peppers and dinner was born.

Oven Nachos

Ingredients
Small ovenproof dish
cheese
taco sauce
tortilla chips

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350
2. Meanwhile, combine chips, taco sauce to taste and cheese
3. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is sufficiently melted. Serve warm.


Quick Fajitas

Ingredients
handful of cilantro (stems and leaves)
1 clove garlic
2 T olive oil
1 t vinegar (I used cider)
2 limes, juiced
salt
pepper
1 lb meat for marinating
1 bell pepper, cut into quarters
tortillas
salsa

Directions
1. In a mini chopper or food process combine first 5 ingredients. Chop until perfect consistency (vague? you know what you want).
2. Salt and pepper meat, place in a Ziploc bag and pour marinade in. Knead briefly and throw it in the fridge for 10 minutes.
3. Heat the grill to medium heat (like maybe 400 degrees)
4. Cook meat for a little less than 8 minutes until medium rare (I did mine a little long I think, to temp = 140 but it was still slightly pink)
5. When you are flipping the meat halfway through, add the peppers and grill until slightly soft
6. Cut meat across the grain in strips. Cut the pepper in strips. Serve with salsa in tortillas and your favorite toppings.

No comments: