Monday, March 22, 2010

Smiley Face Cookies

There used to be a bakery in downtown Wheaton, IL called Carney's. It was a family favorite growing up. I especially loved the Smiley Face cookies. Unfortunately, Carney's went out of business when I was away and along with it went the perfect smiley face cookie. I've had it in my mind to recreate these cookies but first I had to find the perfect pieces.

This recipe didn't turn out exactly the same--I need a cookie that is crunchier and a glaze that is thicker (and doesn't seep into the cookie). The chocolate frosting was perfect though.

Smiley Face Cookies
The Cookie:
I used the recipe number one on Simply Recipes I didn't have cream so I just used whole milk and they are still delicious. I used this special vanilla and that made them extra delicious. I think it is important to refrigerate the dough before using it so it is easier to use and between batches. I also think it is important to sift the dry ingredients as she says. Make sure the cookies are completely cool before glazing or the glaze will just drip in.
The Glaze:
I used this recipe because those cookies looked about right. I didn't have enough so I kept having to make it again. I used liquid food coloring because the gel kind wouldn't stick--I had to use a lot of coloring to get the yellow I wanted. To glaze, hold the cookie on the edges and dip one face into the glaze. Turn over and try to distribute the glaze from side to side. Place on a cooling rack and let the glaze dry before trying to put on your face.
The Face:
I made a quarter of this recipe. I will re-post it here as 1/4 cause it is so hard to find on that blog.
1/4 C butter, room temperature
1/4 t vanilla
1 C powdered sugar
1 tsp Cream of Tarter
1/8 C cocoa powder
1 oz semisweet chocolate melted and cooled
1-2 tsp whole milk

Mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, cream butter. Add vanilla and mix again. Slowly add the dry mix alternating with the cream until all is added. Add the melted chocolate and mix until combined. Place in a piping bag or ziploc bag (snip a small corner) and pipe onto cooled cookies. Piping the face takes a steady hand and I had my share of mistakes but luckily you have enough frosting for that.

I made 32 cookies. They are better if stored in the refrigerator. They are delicious, but they are not the same, not this time.

No comments: