Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tortilla Soup

I had a roasted chicken from Costco to use up and had a taste for tortilla soup. I got online to find a recipe and came across quite a variety. I finally settled on Emeril's Favorite Tortilla Soup (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-favorite-tortilla-soup-recipe/index.html)

Well, I loved it! It wasn't too tomato-y (a plus for me). It was a brothy soup with lots of flavor (what else would you expect from Emeril). I suppose you could add other veggies, but I don't think it needed anything else.

I took the bones from the roasted chicken and cooked them up in chicken broth to give the broth used in the soup more flavor (the Costco chickens are very well seasoned) -- and I put it in the refrig over night so I could easily get rid of the extra fat. Instead of raw chicken, I used the already cooked chicken breast from my roasted bird cut up into chunks.

I served it with tortilla strips - I was going to make the chipotle crema, but it seemed a waste to buy a can of chipotle in adobe sauce for a single teaspoon -- as it is, I still have a lot of cilantro to use! I gave some of the soup to Kath and she topped it with avocado (not a fav of mine) and said it was delicious.

I didn't take a photo, but there is one with the recipe.

No comments: