Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Grilled Vegetarian Pizzas

One of my coworkers mentioned that they made eggplant Parmesan over the weekend. Immediately, I started craving eggplant. But here's the crazy thing, I don't even like eggplant! Then Joey got invited to a work dinner to celebrate the end of THE PROJECT tonight and so I had the opportunity to make some of the purple stuff and see whether or not I actually liked it.

Then I was looking at this new site KitchenDaily and I read a recipe about using pitas as the bread for pizzas and then also using the grill to make said pizzas! We have a grill AND pitas. Well actually I had to buy the pitas but whatever. I decided while in the store that a good pizza combo would be grilled eggplant, tomatoes, olive oil, shredded mozzarella, and goat cheese. It was pretty easy to make these and they were pretty good except that I may have cooked the pitas a little long because they were very crispy but I would make these again.

Grilled Vegetarian Pizza (2 pizzas)
2 Japanese eggplants (these are the small ones), sliced into coins about 1/4 inch thick
2 handfuls mozzarella cheese
Desired slices of goat cheese
1 plum tomato, sliced into coins
2 whole wheat pitas
olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions
1. Douse eggplant with oil, salt and pepper. Grill coins over regular heat (I've never used anything besides 400 on our grill) for about 3 minutes a side. These are hard to flip, be careful not to drop them in the grates
2. Remove eggplant from grill and set aside (keep warm)
3. Brush pita with oil on both sides. Grill for 30 seconds. Remove from grill and flip over so grilled side is up
4. Top with some of the mozzarella, eggplant, tomatoes, goat cheese, and more cheese
5. Place pitas on grill and grill about 3 minutes (covered) or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

No comments: