Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Grilled Pork Chops with Savory Butter and Hasselback Potatoes

Posted by Picasa


I was craving pork chops likely because someone at work mentioned them in the morning. I really am trying to use our new grill as much as I can so that I really get to know it as an old friend. So, I scoured the internet as I finished up my last couple of things and found a recipe on The Other White Meat website. I decided on a whim to try out the hasselback potatoes I read about so long ago and dinner was born. I actually did buy some green vegetables but, in the heat of the moment, forgot to make them.

The potatoes weren't right, I guess they didn't cook long enough. I used a recipe that someone had converted so I suppose I could have just searched a little more and found something better. I think these potatoes needed about 20 minutes more in the oven to be crisp on the top and cooked in the middle--but the thought was there.

The savory butter made the pork chops taste absolutely fantastic. It melted into the meat and gave depth to the flavor. The meat cooked perfectly also, and the best part? One pork chop with the butter is only 250 calories! I will use this butter recipe again for other grilled meats!

Hasselback potatoes are supposed to be crisp on top and soft on the inside. I used these gigantic russet potatoes and that could have easily been the problem. I saw this recipe after and wish I had gone with it instead.

Pork Chops with Savory Butter
Ingredients
2 pork loin bone in pork chops
1 meat thermometer
1/2 stick butter
1 T steak sauce such as A1
1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t Lawry's seasoning salt
1 clove garlic, crushed
dash hot sauce
salt
pepper

Directions
1. Heat grill to medium-hot heat. Salt and pepper pork chops (not too much salt because the butter is salty--you could probably skip the salt).
2. When the grill is perfect, place the pork chops on the grill and cook 12-15 minutes, flipping once, until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees
3. Meanwhile, soften the butter. Mix together in a small bowl all the other ingredients and the butter. Set aside.
4. Serve pork chops with the savory butter on top while hot, the butter melts in and gives the meat the flavor.

No comments: