Saturday, July 19, 2008

Country Style Pork Ribs

This weekend, while on a last minute dinner quest for butter, my fiance and I noticed a great sale on country-style pork ribs--only 99 cents a pound! We pounced on the opportunity and purchased a 5.44 pound rack.

That night, we scoured through my selection of slow cooker recipes and finally found just what we were looking for in one of my most helpful books. We chose this recipe because we only needed to buy two additional ingredients to make it! Overall, a very cheap dinner.

We chose Wednesday as the day to cook it up because the most diners were available to partake. My fiance and I knew we didn't need to eat 5 pounds of ribs ourselves, so on Tuesday night I organized all the ingredients and set them out so that before I left for work (by 7am at the latest) I could throw everything together in the crockpot--just set it, and forget it.

All the ingredients besides the meat and the onions were really just to make the sauce to cook it in--a basic bbq sauce. If you want to make this recipe even simpler, forget all the ingredients and just pour 3 cups of your favorite bbq sauce over the meat and onions.

These ribs fell right off the bone when they were done, but all the flavors from the cooking were completely lost, the meat was floating in a dark liquid filled with fat that fell in just like the meat. I didn't serve the liquid in the pot or the onions with the meat, instead, we used the reserved bbq sauce as well as a bottled sauce I had in the fridge to season up our meat. If you expect traditional bbq'd ribs, you'll be disappointed, but if you expect fall off the bone pork, you're in for a treat.

Country Style Pork Ribs

Ingredients:
1 large onion, thickly sliced and separated into rings
2 1/2-3 pounds of pork country style ribs--I used 5.44 pounds, so this might have had an impact on the extreme loss of liquid--I totally forgot to double the recipe as I had planned, but I doubt it made much of a difference
1 1/2C low-sodium V8
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/4 C molasses (my fiance couldn't believe I had this on hand)
3T vinegar
1t dry mustard
1/4t salt
1/4t pepper
1/4t dried thyme
1/4t dried rosemary

Directions:
Line the bottom of your slow cooker (mine is 6qts) with onion rings
Top with meat, cut into large chunks if necessary
Mix all the remaining ingredients together (should yield 4 cups)
Pour 3 cups of sauce over meat
Set the timer for 10-12 hours on the low setting (I did 10 hours)
Forget it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with the leftovers to make a different meal out of it?

3 comments:

Liz said...

love ribs. I had a bad experience making them the other week...very chewy:(

Nadine said...

I am not a big crock pot user, but I have parboiled the ribs in Old Bay seasoning (just to get them started) then marinated and then grilled.

Recipe ideas -- how about using the shredded meat in a sandwich (like BBQ beef) or as a filling for a Southwestern taco.

Kathy said...

I like the country ribs with sauerkraut in the slow cooker. Add the ribs, sauerkraut 1 can of beer and some apples. Yum