Friday, July 18, 2008

Chicken Sausage with Pasta

Have you seen those flavored fully cooked chicken sausages near the breakfast meats in the grocery store? I have had them a couple of times and always a different flavor. The other night I decided on the pesto chicken sausage which I would use in some sort of pasta dish. I also grabbed a can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings and some whole wheat rotini pasta. My choices led to a quick and easy weeknight dinner. To make it a complete meal, I steamed some asparagus over the boiling pasta in the last 2 minutes of cooking and whipped up a quick fruit salad with seasonal berries.

Chicken Sausage with Pesto Pasta

Ingredients
1 10.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
4 chicken sausages with Pesto, sliced into 1 inch thick circles
1 T Herbs de Provance
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 box pasta of your choice

Boil water as directed on the box
Mix the herbs, salt and pepper into the can of tomatoes (you can just add them to the can, no need to dirty a bowl)
Add sausage chips and tomato mixture to a nonstick pan and saute over medium heat for 8-10 minutes
Cook pasta in bowling water simultaneously and they will be ready together
Drain pasta
Serve sauce over pasta

1 comment:

Nadine said...

One of my easy pasta dishes is to saute any veggies I have at home plus a smoked sausage cut into serving size pieces-- I started by using Kielbasa but the chicken sausage sounds good as well. The main seasoning for my version is lemon pepper -- and no tomatoes! I love using different pasta shapes to add variety as well.