Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

We were invited to a dinner party on Saturday night and I was asked to bring dessert. At first I thought I would make something from my new cookbook. But then it seemed like a lot of the recipes required some kind of serving work--and being at someone else's house, I would rather just serve and go. Joey recommended that I make an old favorite, cookies and cream cupcakes.
One of the fun things about this recipe is that there is a half oreo on the bottom of each cupcake. It bakes right in and gives it a little extra something when you're eating it. The trick is to slice the oreos apart with a knife instead of trying to break them. It is very important to have a little cream (all the cream) on the side that you put the batter on.

This timeI crushed the oreos in a food processor and I liked the effect of really small pieces of cookie instead of large chunks throughout which happens if you use a rolling pin and ziploc bag method. I also liked how easy it was to crush the cookies. The only problem is that it made the final product more gray than I anticipated. But the taste...was outstanding.I really liked the cupcakes this time. Last time I thought they weren't complete without the frosting, this time, I liked the addition but thought it was just that.

I used about 30 oreos crushed in the batter and then used another 10 or so for the frosting. I had some leftover so I sprinkled them on top for a nice finished effect. You can check out the recipe here.

No comments: