Saturday, March 7, 2009

Albondigas Soup

Joey and I got the cooking bug the other day and decided to cook for the remainder of the week. I suggested that I make Beef Vegetable soup in the crockpot. He countered with a plea for Albondigas Soup - which is a Mexican meatball soup.

Never having made this before, I scoured the internet for recipes. I finally settled on this one.The soup promised to be spicy and flavorful--and it also promised to be way too much food for two.

Generally, when a recipe is too much, I cut it down--but in this case, since it was so new to me, I didn't want to mess it up. We invited some people over--but they declined last minute, so, with all the ingredients I moved forward making the whole thing. Thank goodness it was good!

I recommend taking the serving suggestions in the recipe, none of which I followed. It would also be delicious with corn muffins (Jiffy is the only way). I made a few changes to the recipe which I will list here, but I recommend just going to the link above for the details.

Changes:
I used 8 cups of beef broth and it was plenty.
I used more than 1/4 cup of cilantro in both broth and meatballs because I despise trying to measure herbs.
I chopped the garlic, onion and cilantro in the mini-chopper that came with my hand blender--I highly recommend doing it this way!
I omitted the rice completely. (didn't miss it)
I put two 14.5 ounce cans of Rotel tomatoes in because the size was unclear
I only cooked it for an hour total because the meatballs cooked faster than I anticipated.
I could taste the hot Italian Sausage a lot in the meatballs, I recommend using something flavorful but not AS overpoweringly flavorful.
I used 6 carrots and thought more would have been nice. Adding a bell pepper or two might have also added something--probably the rice did this for the recipe creator.

I'll be eating this soup for at least a week, so come on over and have a bowl.

No comments: