Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Simple No-cook 25 mnute Vanilla Ice Cream

Today I was having my nephew over and thought it would be a fun activity to make ice cream. The problem is that most ice creams that we make take lots of time and I knew that that is more time than most 5 year olds can stand!  But I knew that there are ways to make no-cook ice cream so I asked around and checked our cookbooks.  I found a recipe in the Ben & Jerry book to make a quick ice cream base but it notes that it doesn't last long in home freezers.  No problem!  My brother in law is an ice cream hound and I figured they'd be able to finish off a pint in no time!

This recipe is so fast and easy it takes about 5 minutes to mix and then the regular 20 minutes to churn.  My nephew loved watching the clock and the machine churn.  He really enjoyed seeing the mixture get thicker and thicker.  He was also a big help with all the measuring and mixing.  And, as luck would have it, vanilla ice cream is his favorite flavor!

Simple No-Cook Vanilla Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 Cups Heavy Cream
2/3 C Half & Half
3/4 C sugar
2 t vanilla extract (I used tahitian)

1. In a medium bowl with a spout if you have it, pour in the heavy cream. Slowly add the sugar one quarter cup at a time while whisking vigorously.  You want to dissolve all the sugar in the cream before moving on.
2. When the sugar is dissolved, add half & half and vanilla and mix a little more
3. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn 20 minutes or according to the directions
4. Serve immediately with chocolate sauce or freeze.  It will be soft like frozen yogurt when it first comes out of the machine but if you have a patient child with you, serve right away and freeze the rest for later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This ended up lasting fine in our home freezer for months.