Monday, March 5, 2012

Pie for Two

Today Jenny & Gavin had us over for dinner and I offered to bring dessert.  I had a hard time deciding what to make because the 90+ degree weather we've been having lately made me hungry for summer desserts and unfortunately, despite the weather summer produce is not in season.  I decided to make some cherry fruit hand pies (turnovers), but then while at the store I decided instead to make mixed berry partially because that sounded good to me and partially because they didn't have frozen cherries at the store. 
You can find the recipe for the puff pastry turnovers here.  The only thing I did differently was swap the cherries for the mixed berries.  

After making all the puff pastry pies, I still had lots of filling leftover.  So I pulled out this frozen pie crust from the freezer and let it defrost a little while piling all the leftover berries into a small ramekin.  I added a little baking spice over the top and then placed about 1/3 of the pie crust over the top.  I put it on a bit early so it ripped in lots of places, but that was like built in vents!  I folded the excess crust inside along the edges of the dish.  Then I baked the little pie for 30 minutes at 375.  Heavenly! If I could've made little individual pies for everyone I may have gone with this recipe.  The crust edges were flaky but the crust sitting on top of the bubbling berries was the perfect doughiness for me--this is how I like my pies!

Joey & I ate this pie warm and enjoyed it to the fullest.  The best part is that this recipe isn't terrible for you--a bit of sugar, a dash of flour, and then pie crust--which isn't by any means GOOD for you, but it's not so terrible.

Pie in 30 minutes and just enough for two? Yes please

Ingredients:
5 oz mixed berries
2 T + 2 t. sugar, and a little more for dusting
1 1/2 T flour
1/2 T lemon juice
1/3 refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust

1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. Mix berries, sugar, flour and lemon juice and let sit for at least 5 minutes
3. Pour berries into an oval ramekin for 2 and drape the pie crust over the top
4. Fold the pie crust sides inside the dish
5. Bake for 30 minutes until filling is bubbly and side crust is golden brown

No comments: