Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chili with bell peppers

It was a cold and blustery day on Saturday and Joey and I decided to warm ourselves up by making chili.  We scrounged the internet and our phones and cookbooks for recipes and ended up making a variation on this one from Bon Appetite.

One thing I both like and dislike from this recipe is the amount of bell peppers involved. I like it because it gets everyone to eat bell peppers but i don't like it because the whole chili has a taste and texture of bell peppers.  If you make this recipe I encourage you to either make it with less bell peppers or cut them smaller.

We didn't actually follow this recipe to the T. We halved it because we we didn't want to make enough for 8-10 people and then guess what? Even the half portion made enough for 8-10 people! We cringe to think how much the full recipe really makes!

We didn't use any beer because I couldn't find less than a six pack of stout anywhere and we decided against using Newcastle or Hefeweisen instead because we didn't know what that would do. We aren't what one would call beer aficionados.

Our adapted recipe of this chili was actually pretty good. I recommend it to you and yours.  Serve with corn bread or biscuits.  If you know Jenny, invite her over to make you biscuits to serve with the chili.

*Note - I just realized as I was typing this recipe up that I did not halve the chili powder from the original recipe but I did halve all the other things...whoops.  The thing is it wasn't THAT spicy and I kind of feel like if I only used 3 1/2 T total it wouldn't have been enough.  Your choice here.
Ingredients:
5 bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I advise that you use less bell peppers)
1 jalepeno, minced
1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 chipotle chili in adobe sauce, minced
3 1/2 T Chili Powder
3 1/2 T Ancho Chili Powder
1/2 T coriander seeds, crushed
1/2 T cumin
2 1/2 lbs ground beef (actually I used half ground beef and half steaks cut into 1/2 inch pieces but I think I would stick with ground beef if I did it again)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can chipotle pinto beans, undrained because of the chipotle seasoning and to add liquid since we omitted the beer (or regular, I was excited I had these on hand)
1 T canola oil
3 T masa harissa (Mexican cornmeal)
cheddar cheese (for serving)
green onions (for serving)
sour cream (for serving)

Directions:
1. Chop everything up, this takes about 15 minutes for two people to do so leave time!
2. Meanwhile, in a small, dry skillet toast the cumin and coriander seeds until smokey and darker, about 4 minutes, set aside.
3. In a large skillet heat the oil and saute the peppers, onion and jalepeno until soft, about 15 minutes.
4. In another or the same or even the pot you are cooking in brown the meat until no longer pink, about 8 minutes.  Drain if you used the pot you're cooking in
5. Add all the ingredients to a large heavy bottomed pot except for the masa harissa
6. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes
7. About 5 minutes before serving, add the masa harissa to thicken the sauce. Stir it into the pot and continue to simmer.
8. Serve with cheese, green onions and sour cream and with biscuits or corn bread

No comments: