Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pork Chops with Tangy Rhubarb Chutney

Rhubarb has always haunted me. I assume it is delicious because it is red (like strawberries!) but then raw it is harder than the hardest celery and extremely bitter. I've had it before at Grandma's house because she grew it in her back yard but I don't recall how I felt about it. So this spring, when I saw a recipe in Real Simple for Pork Chops with a Rhubarb chutney I was intreged and had to try it.

Then tradgey struck. Even though it is the height of spring, rhubarb was nowhere to be found. It avoided me at two different farmer's markets, it wasn't at the grocery store I went to, and it certainly wasn't growing in my yard. And yet, I set the recipe aside and knew I would make it. Fast forward to today, a little bird told me that rhubarb was available at Albertson's. So I checked the recipe online and rushed over to Albertson's after work to get some rhubarb before it all disappeared.

This dish was Carrie tested and husband approved. The tangy rhubarb chutney is a nice addition to the pork. I used thin pork chops which have the advantage of cooking really quickly (about 6 minutes!) and you get more of the rhubarb flavor. I served this dish with strawberries and sauteed spinach and garlic. It was a really satisfying meal without any starch necessary!

Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney
2 T olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped (I used only 2/3 of my really small red onion)
salt & pepper
1/2 lb rhubarb, sliced 1/2 inch thick
3 T sugar
1 t red wine vinegar (I used balsamic because I forgot to buy RWV)
1 1/2 t ground coriander or other seasoning
1/4 cup water
4 pork chops (I used thin, the recipe calls for thick)

1. Heat 1 T olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper. Cook, stirring until tender - 5-7 minutes.

2. Add the rhubarb, sugar and water to the onions and cook until rhubarb is just tender 4-6 minutes. Add 1 t vinegar at the end and remove from heat.

3. Meanwhile, heat the other 1 T of oil in a large skillet. Season the pork with the coriander, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through. Serve pork with chutney on top.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds good -- I think I'll bookmark this.

**tweet tweet**

Jenny Greene said...

RIP Albertsons.

I was looking at this recipe again because I recently found some rhubarb at Handy Market!