Thursday, September 2, 2010

Variations on Caprese

Caprese is by far my favorite summer side dish. I love how the simple flavors of tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella meld together and taste farm fresh.

Last weekend, I was reading a food blog and saw a recipe for caprese panzanella and thought it would be a great use for the stale bread I accumulate every week. I decided to add a few things and a delicious salad and filling lunch was born!



Ingredients
1 cob corn
3-4 basil leaves, torn
2 fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 small avocado, roughly chopped
1 pickling cucumber, or 1 3 inch piece regular cucumber, roughly chopped
1 1/2 med. sized fresh mozzarella balls, roughly chopped
2 slices stale bread of any variety, roughly chopped
Balsamic vinaigrette

Directions
1. Slice corn kernels off cob onto a plate and microwave 1 minute on high
2. Toss together all ingredients, let sit 1-2 minutes before chowing down to let dressing soak into the bread.

No comments: