We went to the Hollywood Bowl last night and brought a picnic. I have been craving some good potato salad for a long time but I always thought it was too hard to make and too much for me to eat alone. I decided this was the perfect opportunity. I decided against the mayo kind of potato salad and instead searched the web for a vinaigrette variety. I found this one from Kayotic Kitchen. I really didn't follow the recipe exactly but close enough that I can't claim it as my own, plus, she took pictures while I did not.
Herbed Potato Salad
1/2 bunch mixed herbs (I used basil, parsley & dill)
2 lbs baby potatoes of any color
1 small lemon
1 bunch green onions
3 T olive oil
2 T white vinegar (I used 1 rice and 1 distilled white, wine might have been better, I didn't have any)
2 T chicken broth (or veg)
1/2 T dijon mustard
1. Halve tiny potatoes (no need to peel) and boil 8-10 minutes in lightly salted water until fork tender
2. Meanwhile, whisk together oil, vinegar, broth, mustard & juice of one lemon. Add salt to taste.
3. Mince the fresh herbs and green onions.
4. Drain potatoes and toss with vinaigrette.
5. Tip: If you are serving this potato salad later, set aside your herbs and onions until less than an hour before serving--this way they will look green and crisp and not like bits of overcooked spinach.
6. Toss potatoes with herbs and onions & vinaigrette again. Add salt to taste and serve immediately.