The other day I had plans for dinner but needed to have something available for my family. I decided to make a chicken tortilla soup and some poached chicken - two birds...
The resulting soup from this recipe is more of a stew as much of the broth disappeared. This is flavorful but not spicy. I recommend this super quick dish for your family!
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 14oz can chopped fire roasted tomatoes
1 14oz can chopped tomatoes
4 Cups chicken broth
salt & pepper
1 t chipotle chili powder
1 t ancho chili powder
1/2 t cumin
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, chopped
1 T vegetable oil
juice 1/2 lemon or 2 limes
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
For serving - Tortilla chips, cheese, avocado, more limes
1. Heat oil in a large pot and add onion, cook until softened.
2. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more
3. add everything else except chicken, lemon and cilantro
4. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer
5. Add chicken and simmer 20 minutes
6. Remove chicken, cut or shred 2 chicken pieces
7. With the other chicken pieces cut and reserve for another use (aka for your toddler! They weren't spicy at all)
8. Add chicken, lemon juice and cilantro back in. Simmer 5 minutes