School started this week and I was hungry for fall. I looked for Spice Muffin recipes and found this one from epicurious. They were really delicious! I only made a few slight modifications and failed to take any pictures at all. These aren't healthy but they sure are a delicious treat!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking spice (we didn't have allspice)
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used only 6oz and it was fine)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking spice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
1. Mix together applesauce, butter and eggs in a large bowl. Add spices.
2. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
3. Fold flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
4. Spoon batter into greased or lined muffin tins
5. Mix together the topping and sprinkle over the tops of the muffins
6. Bake 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Let cool briefly before serving.
Makes 12 muffins