Friday, September 30, 2011

Stir Fry

I used to make stir fry all the time when I was single. But Joey's not a huge fan of the stuff and it's dropped off my rotation mostly. However, I recently came into some chicken (buy one get one free*) and had a bunch of vegetables and dinner alone and decided stir fry was quick and easy and perfect for the weather.

My stir fry recipe is sort of throw together and make it up dish that I don't really revise much at all in the sauce but totally change in the ingredients. I started making stir fry in Austria when I was not yet a real cook and didn't have all the choices of ingredients that I do here--this version is a lot better but I can't necessary advertise my sauce as mainstream. But I love it!

*You can swap in any meat or vegetables that you have on hand but be sure to mix textures so that it is more interesting to eat.

Stir Fry for 2
1 t vegetable oil or the like
1 clove garlic, smashed
2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
1 handful rice noodles
1 bunch baby bok choy
1 tomato
1 skinny eggplant
1 bell pepper
1 squeeze siracha
1 1/2 T rice vinegar
1 squeeze deli mustard
1 t soy sauce (or to taste)

1. Chop all the vegetables and the chicken
2. Heat oil in a wok or medium frying pan over medium heat. Set a pot of water on a different burner and bring to a boil.
3. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant. Add and brown the chicken
4. Just before the chicken is brown add the eggplant and peppers and let them cook down
5. Cook the noodles according to directions about 5 minutes and drain
6. Mix the vinegar, mustard, siracha and soy sauce and set aside
6. Add the tomatoes and bok choy just as the chicken becomes cooked through
7. Once the bok choy is cooked to your favorite texture, add the noodles to the stir fry and mix together. Add the sauce and cook briefly until everything is well mixed and serve immediately.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: