Saturday, June 18, 2011

Buttermilk Pie

On Thursday night I found myself with a little extra time on my hands. I think it's because we made dinner at home and that dinner was quick and easy requiring the use of only a few dishes. So, I pulled a roll of pie crust from the freezer before I started on dinner and set it out to thaw.

Buttermilk pie. I read about this southern treat on the Homesick Texan blog back around Easter time. At the time, we were baking up a storm and I couldn't really think how to fit in buttermilk pie so I didn't do it.

However, once again I was left with some extra buttermilk after using it in a recipe. I know there are substitutes for buttermilk but I am partial to the real thing. I had already made biscuits, the zucchini bread and now I still had more remaining. So buttermilk pie it was.

I must say I was a little nervous about this pie. I didn't want it to just taste like buttermilk. I read that it was a super sweet custard pie--not to be confused with a cream pie, custard is thicker.

This pie was a cinch to whip up taking only a few minutes to come together but then an hour to cook. I thought the flavor was delicious and the smell of it baking was outstanding. My husband brought the rest of the pie to work and everyone loved it. I would make this again if the right situation presented itself...as it is I still have some buttermilk I could use...

I followed this recipe from NPR, I used the regular version and didn't think it was that sweet. I also added a dash of nutmeg.

1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour, plus a little for dusting
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 1/2 cups buttermilk for less sweet version)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

3 eggs (or 4 eggs for less sweet version)

Beat eggs slightly with a fork and add sugar and flour and mix with a wooden spoon. Then add melted butter and mix well. Add buttermilk and vanilla and mix. Add a dash of nutmeg if you are so inclined.

Dust the unbaked pie shell with a little bit of flour. Pour batter into shell, and then sprinkle a little more flour on top. (oops I did not do that and it turned out fine)

Bake at 325 degrees until the custard is set, approximately 1 hour. The custard will shake a little but if you push a butter knife in the middle it will come out clean. Also, there will be a nice bit of browning on top. I let the pie cool slightly and then had a slice. Then I covered and chilled it for the coworkers the next day.

No comments: