- 1 pound pasta (I used half bowties and half curly macaroni)
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I think you could use less because of all the bacon grease)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (again, I'd use less because of the bacon grease)
- 1 large egg
- Parmesan cheese for serving
1. Cook pasta to al dente according to box instructions. Reserve 1/4 C pasta water. Drain pasta and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Add the garlic, shallots, pepper, and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the garlic is soft but not brown, about 1 1/2 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and add the egg and reserved pasta cooking water, stirring quickly until the mixture thickens, but the egg does not scramble (our pan was really hot and so the egg scrambled, I recommend possibly cooling the pan a little bit first or perhaps adding the egg to the pasta water first).
4. Divide the pasta among bowls, sprinkle cheese to taste over the top of each serving, and serve immediately.