Monday, July 27, 2009

London Broil

London Broil was on special this week so Joey picked up a couple of pounds. At first I didn't know what to do with it. My parents claim that London Broil is the Midwest tri-tip, however, the internet disagreed. They claimed that London Broil is a way to cook the chunk of meat and not actually a specific part of the cow. The internet also impressed upon me the importance of marinating this tough meat...again a sign as tri-tip requires no marination.

I looked up several recipes online but in the end, I sort of made up my own. Somehow (probably the enticement of free food and little decision making) we convinced my father-in-law to grill the meat for us for dinner so I wouldn't have to turn on the broiler in this hot hot heat wave we're having.

This morning, I combined 187 ml of Cabernet (also known as red wine in case you were in the dark like me), 2 spoonfuls of prepared garlic (you can chop your own if you like), 1 T English Prime Rib rub, 3 grinds salt (I'm bad with salt), 7 peppercorns. I put the meat in a 9x13 pan and covered it in the wine-marinade. The marinade smelled horrible--and all day the smell worried me.

The meat marinated for about 7 hours. I turned it every time I remembered [:). The meat was grilled to medium rare for about 40 minutes.

Served with extra salt, the meat was delicious, if London broil was again $1/pound I would not hesitate to pick up a couple.

No comments: