Friday, January 2, 2009

Homemade Marshmallows

This Christmas, I was looking for a quicker than cookie cutter dessert recipe that I could share with friends in gift form. I came across this recipe for Homemade Marshmallows and I knew that is what I had to do.

Once I bought the ingredients (mostly I had them all), I put off the task forever. The recipe isn't time consuming at all--it is basically hands off, but to me, it seemed like it might be one of those things that once you make it, you never want to eat again. So, I was worried that I would be turned off from marshmallows and was putting off.

The recipe is very easy to make. I LOVED the gelatan with the water and the goo it made. I highly recommend just making the geletan goo for your children and then playing with it. SO COOL. Then I added the rest of the ingredients and read a book for the 12 minutes it took to whip together.

I let the marshmallows sit overnight because it was so late by the time I started, but I think it only takes about two hours. The next day I used Bakers Dipping Chocolate to dip the marshmallows. I let them dry on a cooling rack and a lot of the chocolate stuck. However, the effort was worth it, the chocolate hardened and the marshmallows tasted even better than the plain.

In an effort to use the marshmallows a third way, I brought them to my sister's house and we dipped them in melted chocolate with fondoue forks. The marshmallows alone are rich and airy with a strong vanilla flavor. Some say they taste like the regular marshmallows, others agree that they are richer and more delicious.

It is time for you to try them yourself.

Recipe, here.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: