Saturday, January 10, 2009

Baked Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes

I was browsing the food network last week for new baked chicken recipes. I came across this one and was excited by the use of white beans. As luck would have it, I had 3 cans of white beans lingering on top of my microwave purchased for some forgotten recipe.

I had trouble finding chicken thighs so I bought chicken drumsticks. In hindsight, I think this dish would be better with boneless skinless chicken thighs (which were a hot item in the store I went to) or even cut up pieces of chicken.

I didn't have an ovenproof skillet, so I transferred it after the simmering and it still worked perfectly.

This dish ended up being pretty good. The dish was flavorful and filling. We had it with some roasted corn and salad and that was so much food that I was only able to eat one drumstick!

Baked Chicken with White Beans and Tomatoes
adapted from the Food Network

Ingredients:
6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 t salt + 1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 15oz cans stewed tomatoes with juice
2 cans small white beans, rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook and brown bacon in a fry pan over medium heat until browned and crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain, reserve fat in skillet.

While bacon is browning, season chicken with 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. Brown chicken in fat over medium high heat, turning once. (I didn't really brown the chicken enough and it made a big difference in the look of the final product but not the taste). Brown for about 8 minutes and then transfer to a plate of towels.

Reserve fat and brown onions and garlic. When onions are golden brown, add tomatoes and boil for 3 minutes, uncovered. Add beans and bacon and bring to a simmer.

Pour tomato mixture into an oven-proof dish. Nestle chicken into tomatoes. Bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.

No comments: