A few weeks ago, I sent my mom a recipe from Food & Wine magazine about a salad with smoked trout, citrus and a horseradish dressing. She made it and they loved it. Then she brought me an extra piece of smoked trout. Of course, I had none of the ingredients to make the famed salad, so I made a variation, and it was delicious.
If you've never had smoked trout before, think of smoked salmon - the flaked kind not the lox kind but smokier. It's delicious, buy some. I made enough salad for one person.
3 oz smoked trout filet, flaked
2 blood oranges
1 avocado, diced
3 Cups spicy spinach/arugula salad mix (or arugula)
1 T brown sugar
1. Over a small bowl to catch the juices, segment the blood oranges
2. Sprinkle salt over the avocado
3. Toss the avocado, trout, lettuce and blood orange segments in a serving bowl
4. Add the brown sugar, juice of half a lemon to the blood orange juice. Whisk in oil until the right oil-->acid ratio begins to emulsify
5. Toss dressing with the salad and serve immediately.
This salad was beautiful but because I consumed it during a meeting at the office, I failed to take any pictures. Nobody complained of a fish smell while eating and I was satisfied for the remainder of the day without a snack before dinner.