Sunday, March 13, 2011

Poached Chicken

Everyone is always saying that poached chicken is the quickest and easiest way to make up a bunch of chicken to use in recipes later in the week. I've never really tried it. I buy chicken pieces and then find that I can't think of anything creative to make with them. Since Joey isn't a huge fan of chicken this is even more complicated.

But last week, I had some of that leftover roasted chicken on sandwiches with mustard for lunch and it was fantastic. The chicken was so much more filling than sandwich meat and overall a much better value. So this week, I defrosted some chicken thighs from the freezer deciding whether to make braised chicken or poached chicken. I ultimately decided to go with poached and then we wouldn't have it for dinner--I would just have it for lunch. And now I agree with "everyone" in saying that poaching chicken is quick, easy and cheap and yields pretty flavorful chicken if you know how to do it right.

Poached Chicken
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs, thighs take slightly longer to cook)
2 tsp dried mixed herbs, I used herbs de Provence which is my favorite mix
1 bay leaf
2 cans broth, I used vegetable because I have a surplus of it

1. In a heavy bottomed pan place chicken in one layer on the bottom. Add herbs and bay leaf and cover with broth (chicken should be just covered so depending on your pot size you may get away with less broth).

2. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is firm to touch and no longer pink inside. Let cool in the broth and then slice or shred for use in your favorite chicken recipes.

No comments: