Friday, January 29, 2010

Molten Chocolate Cake


I do have custard cups! And aren't they adorable? Back when I was making the wedding registry at Crate & Barrel I came up with all sorts of random kitchen items that I suddenly could not live without. I'm glad I did, I never knew how handy these little guys would be...until today. Today, I used them to make delicious and quick Molten Chocolate Cakes and I didn't even have to leave the house.

You heard me, molten chocolate cake. I've tried this before, and it is never the same deliciousness of the restaurant version. Until now. I whipped these babies up in about 10 minutes and they only take 13 minutes to cook. This is a perfect dessert if you have unexpected guests for dessert because it takes so few ingredients and turns out delicious. I cut the recipe in half from the original only making enough for two and it worked out just fine. I did not remove them from the cups to serve on a plate but they would've dropped out easily if I had. I also served them later and they weren't really warm anymore. That probably was a mistake actually. Joey's chocolate center wasn't as gooey as it should have been. So next time, I will serve them right out of the oven.

Molten Chocolate Cake for 2 (from Tasty Kitchen)
Ingredients:
* 2 pieces (squares) Semi-sweet Baking Chocolate
* ¼ cups Butter
* ½ cups Powdered Sugar
* 1 whole Egg
* 1 whole Egg Yolks
* 3 tablespoons Flour

Directions
-Preheat oven to 425. Grease 2 small ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray, set aside
-In a medium microwave safe bowl add butter and baking chocolate(broken into 4 pieces). Melt butter for 1 minute, chocolate will not be melted.
-Whisk together melted butter and chocolate until the chocolate is melted
-Add powdered sugar and stir until combined
-Add Egg and additional egg yolk and whisk until combined
-Add flour and stir until combined
-Pour batter between prepared custard cups
-Bake 13-14 minutes until edges are firm but middle is still gooey
-Serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream

No comments: