The Barefoot Contessa Family Meals cookbook is spectacular. I love the pictures, I love how the writing sounds just like her show, and so far, I love the food.
Last night, it was particularly cold in Southern California (like 55!). Joey and I decided to catch up on some episodes of Heroes and drink hot chocolate. I was excited to try this recipe because it would allow me to use my new immersion blender for the first time!
The hot chocolate was some of the best Joey and I have ever had. It had a flavor all to itself. The chocolate flavor powered through. It was the perfect evening treat for a cold day, and simple to make! Just increase the amounts if you want to make more, this recipe makes two generous size mugs (3 mugs with my Fiestaware ones).
Whipped Hot Chocolate for Two
1 1/2 C. Whole Milk
1 C. Half and Half
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or semisweet baking squares
2 ounces milk chocolate (go for non-Hershey. I used Cadbury)
1/2 T sugar
1/2 t vanilla extract
1. Heat the milk and half and half in a saucepan over medium-low until just before simmering (small bubbles should appear around the edges) stirring throughout to avoid the milk skin.
2. Meanwhile, roughly chop chocolates
3. Remove pan from heat and add chocolates. Stir until melted.
4. Return pan to heat. Add sugar and vanilla. Heat until desired temperature.
5. Remove from heat and whip hot chocolate with the immersion blender a couple of pulses before serving.
6. Pour into mugs and enjoy immediately! (contents of mug may be hot, use caution)