Sunday, June 29, 2008

Salsa

This is my favorite salsa. I am not a tomato fan, so, I don't like big chunks in my salsa. I got this recipe from Consuela, the cook in the Bistro where I used to work. Everyone was always so excited when it was "Tostados" day & I always got extra Salsa. A couple of things that I love about this recipe a) it is such a good one to cook with (I have used when I make Tostados & Flutes) b) it is only 5 ingredients c) very simple to make.

*This recipe you have to adjust to your likeness of the ingredients. When Consuela gave me this recipe it wasn't exact measurements.


Recipe:

5 Roma Tomatoes
1-2 Jalapeno Peppers (if you don't like spicy, I would only go with one)
1/2 white onion (chopped)
1/2 cup - 1 cup cilantro (you can adjust amount to your likeness)
Salt to taste


Place tomatoes & peppers in non stick skillet (medium heat). The only thing I do to prepare them is wash & cut the stems off the jalapenos.
Goal here is to get them soft. Keep flipping them every couple of minutes. They will blacken & that is absolutely fine. (Consuela said that you can also do this on the grill, I have never tried)
Once they are soft place all ingredients in blender (chopped onion, cilantro, tomatoes, jalepeno). Blend.


Here is your end result. Salt to taste & enjoy!

1 comment:

Nadine said...

I am with you on having the tomatoes in very small pieces! However, I would prefer to not have to touch them at all.

I have roasted peppers on the grill and it works well -- but I am usually peeling them afterwards.

I suppose you want to keep them from getting too blackened.