Thursday, August 4, 2011

"Roasted" Potatoes

I spied a recipe online recently for roasted fingerling potatoes that used chicken broth in lieu of any oil. I thought I'd give it a try tonight. Before making them, I discussed the possible outcomes with a friend. We decided that the potatoes would likely be flavorful and moist but not crispy.

That's exactly what happened. I hate to even call these roasted. They are more steamed but in the oven. I thought the flavor was great though--a little garlic, some rosemary--some of the best steamed potatoes I've ever had. They're also pretty healthy for you as far as potatoes go.

Ingredients:
12 oz new potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces or so (this was 3 potatoes for me and we ended up with about three half cup servings)
1/2 C fat free reduced sodium chicken broth (the real recipe calls for 1 C broth separated because they claim the broth will steam off, this didn't happen for me so I used half)
1/2 t salt (I actually used a rosemary salt instead of using rosemary & salt)
1 T rosemary, dried
1/2 t pepper
1 clove garlic, minced

Preheat the oven to 400. In a small oven-safe dish with higher sides mix potatoes, and all other ingredients (but only 1/2 cup of broth). Arrange potatoes in one layer on the bottom of the dish. Bake 15 minutes, check to see if the broth steamed off and if so add another 1/2 cup. Stir to flip the potatoes. Bake an additional 15 minutes until fork tender.

No comments: