Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Flavorful Crock Pot Chili

I haven't used the crock pot much recently. I might guess it's been almost a year! I went through a period where everything I made in it was bland and massive. Quantities for a crowd.

However, after a few disappointing days this week of having dinner plans and then long drives dashing those dreams, I decided the crock pot was the right thing for tonight.

So last night I did some searching around for a recipe I could make with the crock pot for tonight without going back to the store. I decided that I had everything to make a pot of chili--down to the cheese and the cilantro.

I searched the web and combined a couple of recipes to make my own. While the chili was a smidge salty it was really flavorful and I highly recommend it. I also think that it is extremely adaptable to your meat & bean preferences.

Flavorful Crock Pot Chili
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
2 t tomato paste
1/3 C chicken broth
1 1/2 T chili powder
1 t cumin
2 cloves garlic, papery skins removed, smashed
salt, to taste (salt more than you think for the crock pot but not too much. I can tell you that 1 1/4 T is too much, but only just)
1 pasilla pepper, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 jalepeno, chopped, half the seeds & pith removed
1 lb cubed beef, any variety (you could put 2lbs of beef in if you want more)
1 14.5 oz can beans, any variety (I used great northern)
2 carrots, shaved
shredded mozzarella, for serving
cilantro, for serving

1. Add all ingredients to a crock pot. Cook on low 9 hours (I did 9 but I bet 6-8 would work just fine, mine sat on warm for about 3 more hours due to timing and commute)
2. Serve with cheese and cilantro topping

No comments: