Monday, August 8, 2011

Citrus Marinated Blade Steak

I was planning on making marinated steak for dinner last night, but I forgot/didn't have any time in the morning to get the marinade prepared. So, I settled for a 20-minute marinade while the potatoes did most of their cooking knowing the thin blade steaks would take hardly any time at all on the grill.

I prepared a marinade loosely based on one I found on my Epicurious app while I was walking to the car from the office. The marinade calls for soy sauce which my husband insists he doesn't like and can taste a mile away, so I omitted it and instead used Worcestershire sauce and some actual salt. I think the marinade really did take and the thin steaks were pretty delicious--although possibly slightly overcooked. (Timers, I need to remember to set them)

Citrus Marinade
scant 1/4 C olive oil
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1 orange (it can be the same orange but be sure to zest before juicing)
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon (same as above)
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
dash salt
1/2 t dried cilantro
dash pepper
thin steaks

1. Add all ingredients to a gallon sized ziptop bag. I found the best way to do this was to stand up the bag in a strainer type bowl (it was on the drying rack) with high sides, that way you don't mess up a dish!
2. zip the bag and shake around to combine.
3. Reopen the bag and drop in the steaks in the same size pieces you want to cook them in, zip the bag and move the meat around to coat.
4. Let sit 20 minutes or more, as long as overnight, turning occasionally so that all sides get coated.
5. Heat the grill, remove steaks from bag directly to the grill and grill until done, turning once. Serve with crispy roasted potatoes.

No comments: