Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Homemade Cheesesteak

 There was too much going on tonight at dinner to take a picture, but I will tell you this, the homemade cheesesteak sandwich I made this evening for myself was delicious.  I loosely followed a recipe I read on the internet earlier and then immediately lost. I was not looking at the recipe while cooking so let's just say I made it up.  I didn't buy hoagie rolls because I already had pretzel rolls in the freezer. They were perfect with this dish!  I also used Colby-Jack cheese instead of the traditional (provolone or perhaps whiz?). I just used what I had but you do you!

Ingredients (serves 2 generous sandwiches)

14 oz shaved beef (they sell this at our grocery store and it comes in the 14oz size for some unknown reason)

Olive oil

Butter

salt

1/2 onion, sliced into strips

1/2 bell pepper, sliced into strips

1/4 C Worcestershire sauce

a few shakes hot sauce

2 slices cheese

Directions

1. Heat a little olive oil and butter in a skillet. When it is glistening, add the onions and a little salt.  Turn the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally for 500 agonizing minutes until caramelized. You can and should do this step ahead because it takes for.ev.er.  I did not end up getting my onions fully caramelized because I was just hungry.  

2. Once your onions are done, remove them to a plate but keep the pan as it is. Add some oil and butter and brown the meat for 1-2 minutes. 

3. Add the onions back in, the bell peppers, the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt to taste.  Cook, stirring until the meat and peppers are done.  Add the slices of cheese on top and cover. (one thing we do to cover a skillet that doesn't have a lid is put a dinner plate over the top. It doesn't even have to cover the whole pan, just where the cheese is.)

4. Quickly toast your bread if you want to and then serve yourself some of this mix on a bun and enjoy! I added more hot sauce later because I was worried about making it too hot for others!


No comments: