Thursday, January 5, 2012

Citrus Marinated Chicken

On Saturdays, I make a stop at Sprouts Farmer's Market part of my morning errands.  Sprouts is kind of like Whole Foods with their organic brands and bulk bins, but cheaper and not as fancy.  I love the produce there--it is so reasonably priced and on sales you sometimes get deals as wonderful as the Mexican markets.

Last Saturday, I went to Sprouts for oranges (well actually I wanted to see if blood oranges were available and the actual farmer's market hardly had any farmers hopefully due to the holiday) but I went by the meat section too.  The meat sales at Sprouts are always fantastic.  The best part is you don't have to buy enough to feed an army to get the sale.  I left the store with loads of fruits and vegetables, and two different cuts of meat plus a variety of other items for around $20.  I bought 4 chicken drumsticks for $2 and two miniature steaks for less.

Unfortunately, this new year my cooking skills seem to have plummeted to an all time low.  My first meal of the year was an incredibly overcooked and ridiculously dry roast beef in the slow cooker.  There are many reasons that beef could have failed and I won't go into them, let's just end with we had pizza that night and we might try to put it in soup.

The second day of the new year I cooked the miniature steaks and crispy roasted potatoes.  The potatoes were almost perfect but the steaks were a tad over cooked and had to be doused in A1 sauce for moisture. To be fair, I was distracted by trivia questions being thrown at me while I was cooking.

So this third day, I decided to fall back on an actual recipe because that way at least I would have more people to blame if it failed.  The good news is that this day, this third day, the recipe worked and was delicious.

And I didn't even follow directions.  Why not you say? Well that's because I decided to make the recipe at 11pm and thought "of course I have those ingredients" when in fact I had 3/5/.  But the good news is that it still worked out and was rather delicious--with a dash of salt on top.  AND I grilled these little drumsticks to perfection too with very little help.

Adapted from this completely different recipe by The Pioneer Woman

Serves 2
Ingredients
4 Chicken Drumsticks
1 small grapefruit
1 orange
1 1/2 t olive oil
salt - I never add enough so I trust you will make a good decision
pepper - I don't really like pepper, I added 2 turns of the mill
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

Directions
1. In the morning or at least a few hours before serving, prepare the marinade.
2. Juice the orange & grapefruit over a liquid measuring cup, reserve rinds. Add salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic.
3. Place drumsticks in a large ziploc bag and arrange fruit rinds inside.  Pour marinade over chicken and refrigerate until ready to grill
4. Heat the grill to 400. Turn off the middle burner and brown chicken on each side (there are 4) 3-4 minutes.
5. Once chicken is browned cook 10 minutes covered.  Check the chicken and turn it over and cook another 10 minutes OR possibly less.  The chicken should be about 160 degrees in the meatiest part.
6. Serve warm with vegetables